THE ANTIOXIDANTS IN TRAIL RUNNING
Did you know that antioxidants can improve your trail running performance thanks to their ability to protect cell membranes from oxidative stress?
Did you know that there are foods that concentrate high amounts of antioxidants and can counteract oxidative stress and aging in general?
Let’s see what emerges on a scientific level, our Dr. Felicina Biorci, expert in nutrition, nutrition and integration in endurance sports, tells us interesting things about the topic.
Dr. Biorci, confirms among the SUPER foods:
- cabbage, rich in phenolic compounds, carotenoids, ascorbic acid and glucosinolates, which have a protective action on the central nervous system. In the laboratory, its ability to reduce inflammation markers during cerebral ischemia was highlighted. Benefits on blood sugar levels and blood pressure have also been confirmed;
- pomegranate, rich in ellagic acid, which has an anti-tumor action, inhibiting the formation of new vessels during the development of a cancer;
- garlic, useful in reducing blood pressure;
- cocoa, drink of the gods – beyond the super-heroes – regulator of pressure, insulin levels and vascular function;
- saffron used in the treatment of depression and to counteract cognitive decline in subjects with Alzheimer’s;
- chilli, associated – in a study conducted on more than 22,000 Italians – with a reduction in mortality from heart disease;
- green tea with anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant action;
- blueberries rich in anthocyanins, which contribute to a decrease in the risk of developing cancers and a reduction in blood pressure;
- extra virgin olive oil, correlated with the low incidence of arteriosclerosis, diabetes, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.
Put it all together, mix, let it rest… and you will get the basis of the Mediterranean diet.
DISCOVER all the nutritional plans designed for trail runners, even vegan ones, click HERE