5 TIPS TO IMPROVE THE START PHASE OF YOUR ULTRA TRAIL
Do you always do some mistakes before the start of your Ultra Trails? Does nutrition before and during the race worry you?
Here are 5 tips that can help you improve and avoid stressful situations
1. THE AFTERNOON BEFORE THE RACE, RE-CHECK EVERYTHING YOU NEED WITH A CHECK LIST PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN ON A SHEET OF PAPER
Check the gear, nutrition, hydration, clothing, shoes, attach the bib and make sure you have everything ready, including the camelback.
2. RACE DAY:
- IF YOU START IN THE MORNING, HAVE BREAKFAST 2H30 BEFORE THE START
- IF YOU START IN THE AFTERNOON, HAVE LUNCH 3H BEFORE THE START
- IF YOU START LATE IN THE EVENING, HAVE DINNER EARLY AND THEN HAVE A SNACK 2H BEFORE THE START
Beware of glycemic peaks partly due to pre-race stress. In the case of hyperglycemia you will find yourself having soft legs, out of breath and dizzy after a few meters from the start. Take a pre-race preparation or a waiting drink 1h-1h15 before the start
3. ISOLATE YOURSELF A FEW MINUTES BEFORE THE START
Find a quiet place, mentally review the race, the strategy you have prepared, what you will do at the refreshment points, where you will meet assistance. Breathe deeply keeping your eyes closed and relax focusing on the different parts of the body.
4. CONSIDER THE FIRST HOUR OF COMPETITION AS A WARM-UP
For Ultra Trails over 60km, it is not necessary to warm up before the start, unless you aim for the top positions in the standings. Leave calmly, keep a pace that would allow you to speak without breathlessness. Don’t worry about how many athletes pass you, you usually find many from km 40 onwards…..
5. EAT AND HYDRATE YOURSELF CORRECTLY FROM THE BEGINNING.
Don’t wait until you are thirsty because it would be too late or to experience energy drops to eat food. You must have a well-defined strategy of continuous integration, take a sip every 20-25′.
Would you like to know if you are feeding yourself correctly during training and competitions? With the GLYCOGENOUS TEST, the nutritional test for professional trail running athletes, you can do it. You can discover your energy consumptions in real time. Click on GLYCOGENOUS TEST
endurance nutrition, endurance nutrition, endurance ultra trail, endurance ultra trail, endurance ultra trail coaches, nutrition in trail running races, trail running, ultra trail races, ultra trail training plans